Apply now! new dance graduates (1st or 2nd year out)
Two 2011 development opportunities
Soft Landing 1: ‘the dancer lands’ with Solon Ulbrich – 7 February to 6 March 2011
Soft Landing 2: ‘research, history & re-invention’ with Brian Lucas - 15 August to 11 September 2011
A unique opportunity for tertiary dance graduates to engage, collaborate and forge creative partnerships for the future.
Soft Landing is a collaborative professional development program at QL2 Centre for Youth Dance, Canberra. This program has been developed over several years and has supported many recent graduates during the difficult transition from the tertiary course into the dance profession. All dance graduates within the first two years after completing their degree are eligible.
Each Soft Landing has a core period of 4 weeks in Canberra. You must make a clear commitment to the entire process and be available full-time for the period, concluding on the evening of the final day.
You should also be prepared to engage in online discussion and research prior to the studio development; and subject to funding, we will provide limited online and phone mentoring support after this.
There is no fee to participate, and QL2 will pay you an allowance of $500 towards your costs. You must make your own arrangements for your stay in Canberra.
Soft Landing 1 2011: the dancer lands
Independent dance artist and producer Solon Ulbrich will once again direct Soft Landing 1 for 2011, assisted by Amelia McQueen; with up to 12 participants.
Soft Landing 1 is a demanding non-university setting which will challenge your practice and develop your capacity to respond to choreographers with professional rigour, choreographic intelligence and an awareness of context. You will maintain and extend dance training, share knowledge and skills with interstate graduates, and launch a creative practice for the future.
The core of Soft Landing 1 will take place from Monday 7 February to Sunday 6 March, 2011.
It concludes with an "in progress" performance showing at QL2’s theatre. You will undertake a full time creative process including: daily technique class; contributing to the development of a new dance performance; and mentored feedback. You will be required to contribute research tasks and creative materials as relevant to your personal goals. There will also be sessions on practical information including copyright and risk management; and opportunities to develop teaching and associated production skills.
Soft Landing 2 2011: research, history & re-invention
Soft Landing 2 will be led independent dance artist Brian Lucas, assisted by Laura Boynes. It will involve 6-9 young graduates, some of whom may have also have been part of Soft Landing 1.
The core of Soft Landing 2 will be Monday 15 August to Sunday 11 September 2011.
Over the four-week intensive period, you will focus on your development as a choreographer in relation to research, history and re-invention. The National Library of Australia will support your research activities, and you will work towards a professional-level performance season of a short work in QL2’s 92-seat theatre. There will also be a forum at the Library, where short movement demonstrations will be accompanied by a discussion of history and research in dance creation, led by Lee Christofis. You will receive intensive mentorship from Brian, and research assistance from Lee.
How to apply
If you would like to apply for Soft Landing:
1) Send your CV including references, photo and brief cover letter expressing reasons for your interest, and which Soft Landing/s your are applying for, to: email@example.com; and
2) Prepare a video with up to 15 minutes of material demonstrating your dance experience and skill (and for Soft Landing 2, your choreography). This can be submitted by:
· uploading it to Youtube (make it private, and send us the link) or
· sending a .mov file (max 100Mb) by a free file transfer service such as yousendit.com or pando.com;
· as a last resort, mailing a DVD to QL2.
Prime selection criteria will be:
· a demonstrated desire to work in a mentored environment with the particular leader;
· potential benefit to the participant,
· potential contribution of that participant to Australian dance;
· consideration of availability, commitment, physical capacity and diversity.
Applications will be assessed by:
· Solon Ulbrich: Project Director (SL1)
· Brian Lucas: Project Director (SL2)
· Ruth Osborne: Artistic Director QL2
Soft Landing 1: ‘the dancer lands’ with Solon Ulbrich
· Expressions of interest must be received by: 10 December 2010
· Successful applicants will be advised by email by: 17 December, 2011
· Core intensive: 7 February to 6 March 2011
Soft Landing 2: ‘research, history & re-invention’ with Brian Lucas
We have provided two closing dates, to gives you maximum opportunity to plan your year. You can apply in either round; some places will be held open for the second round.
· First round expressions of interest must be received by: 10 December 2010
· First round successful applicants will be advised by email by: 17 December, 2011
· Second round expressions of interest must be received by: 17 May 2011
· Second round successful applicants will be advised by email by: 21 June, 2011
· Core intensive: 15 August to 11 September 2011
The fine print
Soft Landing 1 and 2 are both dependent on unconfirmed funding. If the outcomes of funding applications are negative, Soft Landing 2 will not go ahead; and Soft Landing 1 may be reduced in scope. We will inform successful applicants as soon as we know.
If you have any further queries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org