Not sure what to cook for dancers? Health Promotions Officer and resident stir-fryer, Jamie Winbank, has done all the hard work for you and found some of the best Go for 2 and 5® recipes for you.
Chicken and Vegetable Stir-fry
20 minutes preparation + 10 minutes cooking
What you’ll need:
- 2 cups rice
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 250g chicken breast, skin removed and cut into strips
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 stick celery, sliced
- 1 red capsicum, seeded and diced
- 125g snow peas, ends and strings removed
- 1 bunch bok choy, or 1 cup of cabbage, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 2 tablespoons reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
What do to:
Cook rice following packet directions. While cooking, heat oil in a wok or large pan and stir-fry chicken until almost cooked. Set aside. Add garlic, onion, carrots, celery and capsicum to the wok and cook for 2 minutes. Return chicken to the pan, add snow peas and bok choy and cook for 2 minutes. In a small bowl mix cornflour and soy sauce to a smooth paste then stir in stock and chilli sauce. Pour into stir-fry and heat through. Serve with rice.
Variation : Use lean pork loin instead of chicken. Try noodles instead of rice.
Recipes used with permission from ACT Health and Go for 2 and 5®.